Saturday, June 4, 2011

Harry Potter: As Timeless as Disney?

Obviously, I LOVE Harry Potter. If asked I probably couldn't really pinpoint the exact reason. The imagination of JK? The need for good to overcome evil? The fact that 7 books have lured me in, and I would SERIOUSLY consider naming my child Hermione?
It's really all of the above.
Naturally I would want to go to the Harry Potter theme park. Who doesn't want to walk through Hogsmeade or have some butter beer?

Anyway, my friend and I had a conversation. She felt that the Harry Potter franchise wouldn't last that long, and that it seemed a little ridiculous to build an entire theme park around this book series. Keep in mind this friend also is the one who got me started on the books. Needless to say, I am a little more obsessed than she is.

So I started thinking... Is she right? In ten years will Harry Potter and the gang still be as popular as they are now? Is it just the movies that have bewitched the mass audience? Can it be compared to Disney? Obviously Disney has years of movies and characters to keep it going. It wasn't just a one trick pony. Our parents and our grandparents grew up watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" on Sunday nights. So it is natural that Disney will forever be in the hearts of everyone.

BUT - I think Harry can live up to the challenge. My generation were the first to be introduced to the series. We can then instill our love onto our children. Kids that are in their teens now, have grown up with the books and the movies. ABC Family has Harry Potter weekends several times a year. If you ask me, I think Harry Potter is well on his way to becoming a timeless tradition. Besides isn't "magic" the key to Disney's success? And we know that Hogwarts and Potter are full of "magic" both in Hogwarts and in the ability to inspire young readers.

Let's face it...If DollyWood can last this long, surely Harry Potter can endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment